My Cart
Loading cart...

How it works: Emotional Support Animal

What is an Emotional Support Animal?

An Emotional Support Animal is any animal that provides emotional support, as their name suggests, to their handler suffering from a mental or emotional disability.

With the recommendation of a doctor or mental health professional, Emotional Support Animals are permitted, under federal law, to accompany their handler in housing (including “No Pet” housing) without any additional fees or charges.

Benefits of an Emotional Support Animal

Comforting the handler with their presence

Lives with handler in housing for free

Providing a sense of focus and purpose in its handler

Improving the handler’s self-esteem

Reducing stress

Who qualifies to have an Emotional Support Animal?

According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), over 1 out of 4 (26% ~ 61 million) of adults in the United States have some type of disability, who may benefit from the assistance of an Emotional Support Animal.

Any individual suffering from an emotional or psychological condition may qualify and benefit from having an Emotional Support Animal.

What information may be asked of me for proof of my Emotional Support Animal?

Building managers/landlords may ask for a note, written by a doctor or mental health professional, recommending the use of an Emotional Support Animal. It may be from your physician, psychiatrist, therapist, or licensed clinical social worker (LCSW). To be valid, the letter must be current (dated within the past 12 months) and updated annually.

All of our kits have the option of adding the Housing Letter, which includes a signed letter from a licensed practitioner after an online evaluation.

Please do note that while emotional support animals do not require specific training for one’s disability, they must have basic obedience training and not misbehave in public.

I don’t have a doctor’s letter. Is that something you provide?

We offer two different letter add-ons with our Emotional Support Animal kits:

Yes, we offer an ESA Housing Letter ($49)

Housing providers require the letters to be designated specifically for living.

Each letter includes an online evaluation by a licensed practitioner, in which you will receive your signed letter recommending the use of an Emotional Support Animal, if approved.

When will I receive my registration?

Once your request has been reviewed by a licensed practitioner and approved, you will receive your signed letter in one business day. Your physical kit (certificate, ID card, tag, collar, leash, vest, if ordered) will arrive in 3-7 business days with our free shipping.

$9 Priority (2-3 business days)

$45 Express (1-2 business days)

In a rush to receive your certificate and ID cards with your registration? You may add your electronic copies to any kit to receive your digital certificate and ID card via email in less than 24 hours.

Is this legal?

Emotional Support Animals are protected under federal law by the Fair Housing Amendment Act (FHAA) which protects the handler’s rights in housing.

We have doctors and mental health professionals in all 50 states, that will provide you with the signed letter, and comply with the verbiage requirements of the FHAA in as little as a day.

Is this all I need?

Your registration and kit include all items required to live with your Emotional Support Animal.

My landlord is requesting their own specific forms be signed for my Emotional Support Animal. Do you assist me with those?

Yes. By adding the ESA Housing Letter to your kit, you will have access to your own concierge that will assist you with all forms for your Emotional Support Animal for no additional cost.